[LMB] OT: Why, oh why do woman mystery story writers seem to be obsessed with clothes???

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 02:08:18 GMT 2019

On 11/27/2019 2:50 PM, Eric Oppen wrote:
> Some people complain about "food porn" in S.M. Stirling's books.  Me, I
> love it, although if I read it too long, I find myself wandering off to see
> what's in the refrigerator.

*sigh* I know

> And now I'm imagining a Barrayar (ObBujold) where men are the ones who do
> cooking, and a well-trained Vor lord is expected to be *Cordon Bleu* level
> in the kitchen.  And I'm wondering what Barrayaran cuisine is like.

ooOOooo fun idea =)

> My only problem with extensive clothes porn is that I don't generally
> understand what I'm reading---"what in Chaos is a 'peplum?'" and I need to
> have the Net handy to look terminology up.

And I grew up with a mother who wore couture, and took me with her to
Bloomingales and Macy's where she used a personal shopper, and I also
got a new wardrobe twice a year I actually know what all that useless
stuff is =)

Though I do understand being tired of wading through endless
description. I had always been so tempted to modify my Honor Harrington
books by deleting some of the overly detailed tech details that could
have been kept in the back of the book. We joked I could have turned
most of hte books into wonderful novellas.