[LMB] OT: Why, oh why do woman mystery story writers seem to be obsessed with clothes???

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 03:21:29 GMT 2019

In Victorian times there was a huge trade in used clothing---wealthy people
would give even slightly-worn-looking clothes to their servants, and
selling garments that they didn't want themselves was part of their
perquisites. Laundering was a huge industry in London and other industrial
cities, thanks to the prevalence of coal smoke, and stealing clothes from
clotheslines was a recognized criminal specialty.