[LMB] OT: Windows 10 has been particularly prolific this week.

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sat Dec 7 18:38:35 GMT 2019

On 12/7/19 11:18 AM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
> The next question is how much functionality is removed in each iteration?
> You just need one critical program to be rendered non functional to be in major hurt.
>
>> On Dec 7, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>>

>> That was the third update this week on the fast track. We are up to Build 19037.1.

Windows 10 updates have never removed anything I've needed to use.

The worst I've seen it do to other people is break the antivirus
software that they shouldn't have been using anyway.

Any AV software that thinks it knows how Windows works better than
Microsoft does is mistaken, wrong, and *should be* disabled.

Oh, and I guess I was told about it breaking someone's storage server.
Because it was using an ancient version of Samba and Microsoft *finally*
disabled the completely insecure password hashing that used to work.
*FINALLY*. It was long overdue.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil