[LMB] OT: Why, oh why do woman mystery story writers seem to be obsessed with clothes??? -- pizza?

Corrina Lawson corrinaannelawson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 01:20:01 GMT 2019

The turn of this discussion has made me seriously disappointed in several
members of this group.

I will not call pizza until there's at least one link showing a few facts:
"A key topic in the book is who is targeted for traffic stops. What did
your findings reveal about racial disparities in both who gets stopped and
what happens during the stop?

We found that, compared to their share in the population, blacks are almost
twice as likely to be pulled over as whites — even though whites drive more
on average, by the way. We also discovered that blacks are more likely to
be searched following a stop. Just by getting in a car, a black driver has
about twice the odds of being pulled over, and about four times the odds of
being searched. Hispanic drivers, overall, are no more likely than whites
to be pulled over, but much more likely to be searched."

"If it’s not criminality, what does help explain these racial disparities?

Stereotyping based on demographics. The way you look. The time of day or
night. The location. All these factors have a significant impact on the
likelihood of a search. Young men, especially minority men, are searched
much more often. When we control for every factor included in the database,
we cannot explain that disparity with any nonracial variable, and we do not
find that it is justified by contraband hit rates or even arrests. Many
police leaders have said it relates to location: those in high-crime areas
are searched more. But when we were able to control for this, we still
found that blacks were searched at higher rates than whites in the same
area. So, as far as we can tell, the police use visible cues to determine
the likelihood of criminality, and those tend to cause an overly great
focus on young men of color."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/07/17/what-data-on-20-million-traffic-stops-can-tell-us-about-driving-while-black/

And, yes, some of you have voiced thoughts that are racist in origin.

Corrina