[LMB] OT: Police action / Malcolm Gladwell was Re: OT: Why, oh why do woman mystery story writers seem to be obsessed with clothes???

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Dec 10 01:38:17 GMT 2019

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019, Caroline Tabach wrote:
> I recommend the latest book by Malcolm Gladwell on this subject

Which is _Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We
Don't Know_.

The section where he deals with assumptions and how they can screw up our
decision-making was quite interesting, and definitely something one should
be aware of. Gladwell showed that both trusting people (viz Bernie Madoff)
and *not* trusting people (viz a cop who sent a young woman to jail for
possibly going through a stop sign and then refusing to knuckle under to a
him when he improperly told her to not smoke in her own car) can get us
into serious trouble. No easy answers.

That being said, I though this book was less well-organized or argued
than some of his previous books, and at least one chapter could have been
completely excised and not missed.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-- Toni Morrison