[LMB] OT: Racial disparities in policing

Matija Grabnar matija at serverflow.si
Tue Dec 10 09:16:35 GMT 2019

On 12/10/19 1:17 AM, Matthew George wrote:
> I am reminded of the infamous case where female professional musicians were
> complaining that they were discriminated against by orchestras, whose
> positions are highly competitive and avidly pursued.  A carefully
> double-blinded test showed that orchestra managers were mildly prejudiced
> against women - but that women were significantly lower-performing, which
> accounted for the majority of the disparate hiring.

What you wrote there didn't match what I remembered of the effect of
anonymous auditions, so I looked it up:

http://gap.hks.harvard.edu/orchestrating-impartiality-impact-%E2%80%9Cblind%E2%80%9D-auditions-female-musicians

It turns out that the blind auditions significantly helped get women
hired, i.e. their not being hired was the result of orchestra managers
(unconcious?) bias, and NOT the result of female musicians underperforming.