[LMB] OT: Racial disparities in policing

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 18:29:29 GMT 2019

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing that frustrates me and infuriates me is the way that many
> foreigners apparently feel that *anything* the US news media says is gospel
> hot from Sinai.   I have been at many events reported in the news, and the
> news reports often did not resemble what I saw and experienced at all.
>
> The US news media *cannot be trusted* on any subject where its personnel
> have a huge personal emotional investment.  They will distort stories,
> suppress relevant facts, downplay or play up stories according to their
> biases, and do their utmost to manipulate their readers into accepting
> their worldview.

I have major issues with media. In my role as cave rescue dude, I
frequently am a media contact and what the Thai rescue last year taught me
(144 media contacts in 2 week) was that the only media I could trust that
they would not twist what I was saying was the live broadcast. I've done
hundreds of interviews over the years with most of them taped or for print,
and invariably the end result did not resemble anything I was trying to
say. Print media would get the story wrong even when I would provide them
with a written fact sheet. Taped broadcast would take whatever I said out
of context and twist it around to be the most sensational, regardless of
accuracy.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President