[LMB] OT: Racial disparities in policing

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 07:31:48 GMT 2019

On 12/10/2019 9:46 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> I want to know how police can tell the race of the driver of a car from behind.

Well, I drive between Caledonia NY and Canterbury CT at least one round
trip a month, frequently 2 weekends a month. I will see at least 1 Mass
State cop sitting in the turn space in the median watching people drive
past, and at least 2 NY state cops ditto, I might or might not see one
CT state cop. They are watching traffic from what is the drivers side of
the car, and *generally* are watching mainly the fast lane [the side
towards the median] because htey are not really concerned with people
plodding along behaving, they are after the people weaving in and out of
the lanes, going hell bent for leather [wait, Mass, hell bent for
pleather =) ] That puts them in the perfect spot for looking at the
drivers.  Off controlled access roads, they are either driving around in
traffic, or parked in parking lots watching traffic. If cars are going a
reasonable in town speed, 10-25 miles per hour, that is plenty of time
to see a Lexus with someone guilty of driving while hispanic -
especially if they are stopped at a traffic light.  I can pretty much
guarantee that as a pasty white broad, I am not wearing a do-rag,
intricate braids in odd shapes, an afro or anything remotely not
reasonably normal for a pasty white chick [I am guilty of having been
bald recently, and have had my hair pretty much every length from knee
length to shaven and every color from what I was born with, to brown
with random colored spike ends and 2 inches long to rainbow and ironed
flat to magenta stripes to cosmic [purple shaded to blue] All of which
were pretty much visible from the back in the Chevy Cruze [I know, not
an expensive car, but a random reasonable sized sedan] But also not
really mistakable for any profile in shade other than something worn by
a white chick.

I also thing a Lexus driving down the road with Dr Dre pumping out hard
core bass at a volume that is bone shaking *outside* the car is a dead
give away as well, and I have been behind a car pumping that much volume
and able to clearly hear the type of music not normally listened to by
the average pasty white mercedes sedan/lexus sedan/brand new mom van.
[OK, I confess, I am sort of odd, as I will listen to pretty much
anything except the really whiny country crap, or bubble gum pop like
Britney Spears and actually have everything from Vivaldi to Romanian
dub-step to Finnish death metal to Japanese No operas, and fairly loud. ]

*But* keep in mind, most pickups on traffic stops are done in populated
areas where people are driving *slowly* and people do look into other
cars - and sometimes people will "helpfully" call in non-whites doing
nothing  other than being non-white. If I see someone who seems to be
black, homeless or home-boy driving a $100K Mercedes in what is
seriously predominately white and upscale, I might consider calling it
in to the cops ... because black homeless gang banger looking guys do
not generally live in Mystic CT ...