[LMB] OT: Statistics

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Dec 11 17:10:15 GMT 2019

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Many years ago, a friend of mine at work was very disturbed by a study that said the salaries of male and female programmers were not statistically  different. The actual averages showed that men made about $1,000 more per year than women. This was back when you could actually buy something with $1,000.
She was livid. Now this was a friend and I knew she understood what the phrase “statistically different” meant but the emotional content overruled her knowledge. Yes, if you take the average of all the yearly compensation for men and all the compensation for women, men make more. That does not prove unequal pay for equal work.
I’ve been hearing a lot of lawyer’s commercials saying that a study showed an increase in non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in heavy users of Roundup and other weed killers. There was no mention of any other type of cancer or what constituted a heavy user. The add went on to say that anyone who who had or had a loved one who had cancer and had ever used Roundup or other weed killer should contact the lawyer to sue for a big payday against the evil companies.
If you choose your parameters right you can prove anything with

William A Wenrich