[LMB] Bujold and the Mama

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Thu Dec 12 19:53:44 GMT 2019

Sylvia McIvers reminds us>>Kareen Koudelka pointed out  a Mama can either die>in chldbirth or otherwise fade out of the story ... So, Bujold & >the Mama: Adventure or retired into Mentor, like OB1 Kenobi?
<snip Mama list>   And accidentally omits Ista.  And incidentally, her ownmother the (unnamed, I think) Provincera.
Ista is, in young marriage, a heroic god-touched saint witha calling and mission.  In maternity, she is locked awayand thought mad.  It's only in the "crone" phase ofthe traditional triad of life roles that she steps back intoa similar hero/saint adventure.
Crone roles often suck. Ista's sage of life post marriage, onthe lookout for grand-children, is a repudiation ofcrone-dom.  But an even more interesting repudiationof the role is the Provincera, who persists and maintainsand relishes in the matron role -- with great privilege comessubtle power to be used carefully, wisely, rarely, through proxies, and even then, gently.
The Lady Hueltar (Yeltar, whatever) is another whois introduced in the crone old-biddy role and seemsto enjoy it.
Ista's  encounter with the often widowed Wife of Bath indicates another path -- crones aren't always thestay-at-home sort like Lady Heulter.
Halla in _Hallowed Hunt_ is a mother-adventurer to consider.
Penric's ladies offer a lot of choices.  The ArchDivineLlewelln (sp?) just for starters. But I think I'll leavethat list for later.