[LMB] Crime and Punishment

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 16:32:39 GMT 2019

From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <
lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of pouncer at aol.com <
pouncer at aol.com>

> Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 8:30:21 AM
> To: hedwig52 at comcast.net <hedwig52 at comcast.net>; litalex at gmail.com <
> litalex at gmail.com>; lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk <
> lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>; m.dolbear at lineone.net <
> m.dolbear at lineone.net>; sylviamcivers at gmail.com <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>;
> thefabmadamem at yahoo.com <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [LMB] Crime and Punishment
>
> Louann Miller refers to canon:
>
> >Cordelia ... offered some Barayarrans the option of
> >Betan personlaity treatment on Beta vs. (per
> >Barrayaran law) the death penalty. All of them went
> >for the death penalty.
>
> I absolutely accept this into my head-canon, and
> it's absolutely consistent with Cordelia's character,
> but I confess I don't recall the scene or situation
> in the books.
> Would a listie who has a better-working memory chip
> than mine please help fill in the background?

[much snippage]
It's from Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, chapter 8
There's a lengthy discussion around it, but the core statement from
Cordelia about death penalty cases is this:

“We were able to see our way to a few commutations. The rest were declined.
Once, I was all set for a test case—I was going to send a convicted man to
Beta Colony, paid for out of my own purse, for full-on nonvoluntary
therapy. To demonstrate the feasibility of importing that system to
Sergyar. Instead, he managed, with some difficulty, to commit suicide a
couple of days before he was due to be shipped out. Irrationally terrified,
or just being Barrayaran, it was hard to tell.” Was there a difference? “So
I’m still looking for a test case.”

Karen Hunt