[LMB] Crime and Punishment

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat Dec 14 18:04:32 GMT 2019

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:32:39AM -0500, Karen Hunt wrote:

> > Louann Miller refers to canon:
> >
> > >Cordelia ... offered some Barayarrans the option of
> > >Betan personlaity treatment on Beta vs. (per
> > >Barrayaran law) the death penalty. All of them went
> > >for the death penalty.
> >

> It's from Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, chapter 8
> There's a lengthy discussion around it, but the core statement from
> Cordelia about death penalty cases is this:
>
> “We were able to see our way to a few commutations. The rest were declined.
> Once, I was all set for a test case—I was going to send a convicted man to
> Beta Colony, paid for out of my own purse, for full-on nonvoluntary
> therapy. To demonstrate the feasibility of importing that system to
> Sergyar. Instead, he managed, with some difficulty, to commit suicide a
> couple of days before he was due to be shipped out. Irrationally terrified,
> or just being Barrayaran, it was hard to tell.” Was there a difference? “So
> I’m still looking for a test case.”

And the final line of the paragraph:

“I’ve considered offering the next convicted person a choice, death or
therapy, but that feels awfully like ducking out of my Imperially
mandated responsibility.”

So there haven't been *any* outright offers, and only one implicit one.

Tagentially, interesting line a bit earlier:

"Cordelia almost said _our culture_, but it hadn’t really been hers since
the Pretender’s War, had it"

Interesting that the draws the cultural break there.  Perhaps thinking
of when she shot Vordarian.

-xx- Damien X-)