[LMB] Crime and Punishment

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 02:43:46 GMT 2019

On 12/15/2019 9:22 AM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:

>> On Dec 14, 2019, at 4:01 PM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> We have, in theory, free education for everyone,  but that has led to an  EXTREMELY stratified society.
>>
>> Harvey
>
> Cleverly, we finance schools through real estate taxes, which means the well to do get better schools.
>
> The rich send their kids to private school and after about 6th grade to boarding schools.
>
> In the courts you get as much justice as you can pay for.
>
> Money talks, truth walks.

Not sure if I should chime in or not =)

My parents paid taxes until the days [respective] they died, and in
general except for a few odd times I went to both private school and
boarding school ... never once quibbled about paying school taxes. In
fact, my mom wasn't happy with some aspects of the town school system,
and literally put her money where her mouth was and stumped for and was
elected to the school board for something like 20 years [ending up as
president after a while]

I pay school taxes without a quibble despite not having had kids -
though I did attend town board meetings and voted against the school
buying a $10 *thousand* paper disintegrater [it pretty much rendered
documents to fluff] as I felt that the $1 000 option was more sensible
for the size of the school system.