[LMB] Lovely synchronicity

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:30:59 GMT 2019

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 9:53 PM Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Listening to "Mountains of Mourning" today.  Miles on his way to the
> village has to hack a path (along with his companions) through a jungle of
> feral Rose's. What quality is most notable about them when you try to chop
> the branches? Elastic recoil.

I spend entirely too much time with thorn vines/bushes/trees at the Ranch.
Greenbriar is my least hated. Multiflora (wild rose which is an invasive)
is among my most hated because unlike greenbriar which I can usually just
plow through unless I am unclothed (which, yes, I frequently am in the
warmer weather), multiflora has backwards facing thorns which grab and hold
on. I have on more than one occasion had to rescue one of my angora goats
from multiflora which grabbed their coats and tangled them so thoroughly I
had to get out pole mounted loppers to free them. There's another thin vine
that has thorns that I have not bothered to identify but it's strong as
hell and tends to chainsaw across flesh as you go through it, and it is
unbreakable. Its annoyance is that it climbs high in trees and is usually
strong among them at neck level. Then there's the Devil's Walking Stick
which has punctured my hands many times. I used to hate it until I learned
how good it was for the pollinators. Now I tolerate it.

The only saving grace for multiflora is that it is pretty nutritious and
contains a lot of vitamin C (when fresh), and the berries tend to stay on
the vines well until the winter.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President