[LMB] The Last Malice

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Dec 18 03:14:49 GMT 2019

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:21:44PM +0000, James M. BRYANT G4CLF wrote:
> It is possible to prove that there
> is no last (i.e. greatest) prime
> number. [Be careful or I will.]

I dunno about that,

but this one below, given certain parameters, I'd say yes,
there must be an end of malices, some day...

> But is it possible to be certain
> that there will be a last malice,
> or will not be?

the volume of the planet is finite. the volume of a malice egg (spore?
whatever) must be finite, and we should be able to safely assume that
the total volume of malice spores/eggs/whatever must be less than the
volume of the planet. ergo! Voila! (and a tip o'the hat to the Good
Dr. Asimov!)

assuming that there isn't a "malice spore generator" somewhere we
don't know about.

my, that's an awful thought! Some ancient wizard started up a
spell that generates a  malice spore the loops back and does it
again, and again, and ...

maybe it is in orbit, drops a spore from orbit now and then. In which
case my theory about volume of spores goes out the window. ugh.

Which reminds me of John Wyndham's "Day of the Trifids". Any other
old-timers here who have read that?

(and the endlessly looping spore generator reminds me of the "fork bomb"
one can create on Unix(-like) systems that keeps creating new processes
til the system dies a horrid death from process overload).

I see I'm rambling here, I should finish this before I shove both
feet in the mouth. :)

Fred

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."