[LMB] OT: Primes (was Re: The Last Malice)

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Wed Dec 18 14:53:00 GMT 2019

> On Dec 17, 2019, at 8:11 PM, Parish, James <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
>
> James M. BRYANT G4CLF wrote:
>
>> It is possible to prove that there
>> is no last (i.e. greatest) prime
>> number. [Be careful or I will.]
>

> I *am* a mathematician, and I know at least three different proofs. My
> favorite is Dirichlet's: if there were finitely many primes, the
> harmonic series Sum[1/n, n = 1, ...] would converge. (It's nice because
> it generalizes to various subsets of the primes as well.)
>
> Jim Parish
> cian

I cannot call myself a mathematician because I flunked out with only a Master’s degree.

Dirichlet’s proof depends on Real Analysis because we have to take a limit.

And all the proofs reveal different aspects of mathematics. The proof of Euclid
as adapted to modern standards of rigor and notation the least, but the simplest
as far as I know.

—
Jeff Bezos got divorced because he realized his marriage was a union.