[LMB] Lovely synchronicity

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Dec 20 07:59:59 GMT 2019

On Dec 19, 2019, at 4:24 PM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2019 3:17 AM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2019, at 3:35 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>
> Snippage about both our fair  listees skin and clothing preferences
>
> Back in the day, in Europe Mom and Dad took my brother and I to clothing optional beaches [yay Germany and the freikorp movement =)] I love going nude though generally indoors and alone or in the company of *few* people, not lass groups of people. I probably wouldn't go to a clothing optional resort, but we would probably rent an isolated cabin or the like.
>

> I am a proponent of natural fibers as well. I dislike leather chairs despite owning a fantastic turn of the 1900s Stickley chair uphoulstered in leather [great grandfathers =) ] One of the few exemptions to the synthetic fiber deal is bamboo microfiber [cellulose 'silk'] as it seems to breath like a good quality linen with the hand of silk.
>
> I am getting ready to redo my merchant class Elizabethan gown [though this time I am freaking cheating and *ordered* someone to make me a blasted corset because I have sewn too damned many boning channels to ever want to do it again!] I have been dabbling online looking for fabric ideas, and I think the chemise is going to be fine linen [lawn], the under gown is going to be a light broadcloth, also linen, the outer in a heavy cotton broadcloth with the fancy smaller parts [sleeve linings, forepart skirt] in some suitable brocade, probably a synthetic. Colors are going to probably be a good medium chocolate brown for the overgown, a nice medium cream for the undergown and foreskirt, and the edging of the outer gown and sleeves is going to be an antique gold colored nonmetallic cording. The partlett is going to be a very fine almost transparent handkerchief linen, and the ruff and cuffs of the same. I know it sounds hot, especially in the summer but oddly enough the swaying of the bell shaped skirt seems to circulate air around the lower body fairly well =)
>
> I am not looking forward to sourcing silk brocades for my steppes nomad however *sigh*
>
> I did find a garment that I think works for a 5 Gods ladies vest -
>
> https://www.etsy.com/listing/642259048/the-maharet-ruby-red-and-gold-womens for the ladies of the Islands [the really moorish influenced =) ]
>
> and a Spanish Ropa, this is a sort of sucky pic -
>
> http://www.tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LL-ROPA&Category_Code=WG
>
> but Janet Arnold has a decent discussion in her book

I never managed to make any of the costumes from her books, nor even to own one, but I sure drooled over them.

 Another Janet, Janet Wilson Anderson, sometimes of Pasadena CA, is da bomb. I knew her decades ago when I lived in LA county. She was married for too short a time to a lovely man, Gary Anderson (Strong like Bull, Smart like Tractor), who entered as a Generic Barbarian—white stereotypical Conan-barbarian attire, with a blue band in which the word “Barbarian” appeared. This was a play on Jove Publishing’s 1981 line of “no frills” novels—see http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/no_frills_books
He was a significant part of the blossoming of filk.
His sense of humor was infectious, and I believe he was a member of LASFS (LA Science Fiction Society: the annual convention LosCon is their work). He died of glioblastoma multiforma in 1998. Read about him here http://costume.org/costumers_quarterly/Costumers_Quarterly-Vol12No1Pt1.pdf  beginning at p. 12.

Janet can be found vending here and there—I saw her at one Folsom Fair, and was gobsmacked, as I never thought of her costume business fitting into a notable fetish event.

Marina