[LMB] The cult of adolescence

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Dec 27 04:42:47 GMT 2019

> On Dec 26, 2019, at 5:33 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> This post draws from All of Lois’ books as well as contemporary culture.
> In 1968 there was a movie, “Wild in the Streets” that said that, since most of the population was under 25, the young people should take over. (This was before the baby bust and the aging populations in most developed countries.) The “youth culture” became a political demographic.
> Now we don’t see a lot of this in any of Lois’ series. Miles gains power at a young age not because he is young but because he is a freakin’ genius. (And because her has the author behind him.) Dag has problems with the powers that be but, in spite of the increased Lakewalker life span, the “old patroller” is hardly a youth at 56. Penric Is good not because he is young but because her is a genuinely good person. The Quaddies are good not because they are young but, IMHO, they have a good older helper and  a great work ethic.
> Now I’m 71 and out of warranty there is no spring in my chicken but why is it that we are supposed to defer to the people with the least education and experience?

I’ll take the other side in this discussion.  This would be a very different world if Genghis Khan, his contemporaries, and his values were still ruling.   We *need* to get out of the way and let the new generations take over.     Of course *we* think our values have finally gotten it right…

We’ve seen societies change in Lois’ books too.