[LMB] The cult of adolescence

quietann quietann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 14:44:53 GMT 2019

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 7:48 PM Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:

> The short version is: you don't. When TSHTF, we elders have more
> resilience in our arthritic little fingers than the kids have in their
> whole selves. Except in the latest high-tech gadgets, according to the
> stereotype.
>
> Which leads me to the long version: Because of the cult of newer = better,
> more "advanced" = superior. Like (true horror story) the electric menorah
> the managers of this place put up for Hanukkah - with "flames" of cold
> white and indicator-light blue. Because -
> ald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
> <http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold>

And here's a really interesting NPR piece about airplane control
automation. There is speculation about the problems with the Boeing 737 Max
aircraft being a poor interface between the airplane's controls and the
pilots' experience. And a hint that younger pilots, having grown up with
SmartPhones, video games, and such, may have an advantage when flying
modern aircraft with modern control automation -- but still be
disadvantaged by their lack of experience.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/26/791414982/how-pilots-interact-with-automation

Ann
quietann at gmail.com

aka "The Accidental Jewess"