[LMB] Happy New Year!

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Dec 31 21:40:57 GMT 2019

On Dec 31, 2019, at 4:14 PM, Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

> Paul and I have often celebrated, at least a first celebration, at midnight Coordinated Universal Time -- 7 p.m. Hoosier (Indiana) time. Sometimes we make it to midnight local time, sometimes we don't.

We're having a low-key party tonight, in which we will celebrate the New Year as it arrives:
in King Edward Point, South Georgia/Sandwich Islands, at 9:00pm (our time)
in Buenes Aires, Argentina (and Nuuk, Greenland), at 10:00pm
in Halifax, Nova Scotia, at 11:00pm
in St. John's, Newfoundland, at 11:30pm
and here in New York State, at 12 midnight.

So our guests may celebrate whenever they like, then go home to bed, but I guess we have to stay up till midnight.

This time zone map is informative and fun: https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/
It's interesting how many areas that span time zones seem to have a cluster in one time zone and then a cluster several time zones over, skipping the intermediate time zones -- if you hover over the red dots of cities, it will give the time there, which often doesn't match the time zone it's supposed to be in by strict latitude.

Katherine