[LMB] AKICOT:L - References in Edna Ferber

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Thu Jan 10 19:17:57 GMT 2019

> On Jan 10, 2019, at 7:12 AM, Gretchen Wright <gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Technically off-topic, but I have just discovered Edna Ferber and I feel
> like there would be overlap between her fans and Bujoldians. The writing
> has the same property that the characters seem to jump off the page and
> become real people that you know personally.
>
> Anyway, I am bemused by the reading list of the character Selina DeJong
> (nee Peake) from _So Big_. Reading this book is requiring me to do homework
> in the best possible way - I want to look up those of her favorite books
> that I haven't already read, in order to get a better sense of her. For
> example, she likes Washington Irving, which I've never been able to get
> into before, but now I'll be able to read it through her eyes.
>
> My question for this list is about the following quotation. The first four
> mentioned authors I obviously know. The other ones I have never heard of. I
> am guessing they are contemporary to when the story is taking place (the
> 1880s, roughly). I'm curious if they are familiar to readers of this list.
> I figure if there are 21st century people who know them, this list is a
> good place to look for them!
>
> "At fifteen, [Selina] knew the writings of Byron, Jane Austen, Dickens,
> Charlotte Bronte, Felicia Hemans. Not to speak of Mrs. E.D.E.N. Southworth,
> Bertha M. Clay, and that good fairy of the scullery, the Fireside
> Companion, in whose pages factory girls and dukes were brought together as
> inevitably as steak and onions."

Wikipedia has articles on most of these. The first 5 are English; the 3 in the next sentence are American (the first being perhaps the most popular female author in the USA post ACW; the 2nd being a pseudonym used for several books by one author, her daughter for several more after her death, and then it became a house name used by more than 80 authors, most of them male; and the 3rd was a weekly magazine, I think printed on newsprint).

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com