[LMB] The bugs that moil for Strontium

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Jan 12 08:59:43 GMT 2019

Am 12.01.2019 um 03:55 schrieb pouncer at aol.com:
> The Rad-Bugs of Vorkosigan Vashnoi glow brighter
> as they accumulate more "radiation".  It seems there
> are three possible mechanisms that would afford this
> result:
> 1) The radiation directly powers the glow.
> 2) The element -- isotope, rather, and say, cesium,
> just for example -- that is the most common contributor
> to the overall radiation load is part of the chemical
> pathway by which the bugs make their luminescent cells.
> It's sort of an essential nutrient for glowing, a proxy
> that indicates the amount of radiation gathered, and
> even though the radiation is killing the overall bug,
> the nutrient makes the glow brighter and healthier.
> or
> 3) The luminescent chemical normal to "glorious bugs"
> is being consumed in the metabolism of HEALTHY
> rad-bugs -- but as the bugs accumulate radiation,
> get sicker and perhaps cancer-ridden, the digestive
> ability to consume the glow is more and more inhibited.

that seems to be a very reasonable pathway to do this - and it has the
advantage that it is not limited to a single material / isotope

i like that ...

but it would take care only of the tail end of the process ..

we also need biochemical pathways to selectively collect and concentrate
the most dangerous materials - which would these be?

i would think of the bad boys caesium, iodine and strontium on the low
end of the periodic table - plus a general ability to collect heavy
metals, which should take care of much of the upper end of the periodic
table

but was the weapon used by the cetas on vashnoi a regular nuclear weapon
or was it a "special"? i dont think it was a regular .. so what did it
produce? did it have cobalt or gold jacket?

the long term effects make me think of cobalt ...

servus

markus

> As I first considered the possibilities, it seems to me
> that the first option was unlikely. But I've recently
> learned of the phosphor compound  Strontium Aluminate,
> which would seem to allow or combine both possibilities
> (1) and (2). Radioactive isotopes of Strontium (Sr-90)
> are often a worry in nuclear weapons fallout. It would make
> a good   The element behaves in bio-systems rather like
> calcium.  So the take up in the rad-bug systems of
> strontium allows it to MAKE more phosphor, and the
> radiation then POWERS the phosphor.  Dramatic
> synergy.
>
> If the problem were really cesium instead of strontium,
> though, this conjecture falls apart.
> What do y'all think?

Email from my mobile connection.