[LMB] The bugs that moil for Strontium

Jonathan Spencer jonrspence at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 13:53:15 GMT 2019

The technology already exist. As reported by the Genetic  Literacy  Project

“Environmental contamination with heavy metals is often the result of various types of industrial processes. Because heavy metals can be dangerous to humans and other wildlife, contaminated sites need to be cleaned up.

…

So, scientists have increasingly chosen to use the techniques of biotechnology to create genetically engineered microbes capable of gobbling up pollution. The latest example of this was described by a team of Romanian and Norwegian researchers in the journal Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology.

The researchers created new protein-encoding genes that consisted of three parts: (1) A cell membrane anchor; (2) green fluorescent protein; and (3) one of three kinds of metal-binding peptides. When these new genes were expressed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae (the common baker’s yeast), the new proteins attached to the inner side of the cell membrane and glowed green”

Jonathan Spencer
Jonrspence at aol.com