[LMB] Fwd: Re: H. P. Lovecraft Crossovers?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Sat Jan 12 16:33:31 GMT 2019

On 1/12/2019 9:59 AM, Baur wrote:

> more likely a genetic construct deliberately planted there by the Ghem
>
> think if what the creator of the kitten tree could do with the
> descriptions of HPL as inspiration

     Shoggoths as bio-engineered WMD?  I can see it.

     The novel "Into the Looking Glass" had a section of Midwest USA
"invaded" by *something* that caused raving madness in any human that
came within a several-mile radius (but did nothing else).  One of the
investigating scientists nicknamed it Cthulhu, and said (paraphrased):
"Trying to grok quantum physics can cause SAN loss.   Now imagine a mind
that understands QP *intuitively*, and make it a strong broadcasting
telepath...."

     So, the Cetas' latest foray into Made Genetic Science whips up a
creature whose brain works in 5-D (some Jump pilot genes cranked to 11),
and has an amped-up version of the Terran-Cee telepath factor.
Uncontrollable, unaimable, but also unapproachable.  Maybe it can pull
5-D shenanigans to avoid long-range attacks, and "pop up" out of nowhere
without crossing the intervening distance (shades of the Hounds of
Tindalos).

     Of course, to be *truly* Lovecraftian, it would need to be
something *contagious,* and made from human "raw material".  So, some
kind of Hollyweird-grade retroviral weapon, released into a planetary
population, and Shoggoth-izes every 1/100^E6 person who just happens to
have the right genetic potentials for telepathy and Jump Pilotage.

     Bonus points if the Cetas whipped it up using some strange
non-human biological samples they found on some world that showed signs
of having undergone some sort of environmental catastrophe in the deep,
deep past, and discover (too late!) that they really *didn't* know what
they were tampering with....