[LMB] OT: Re: Easy-Bake

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Jan 12 22:55:47 GMT 2019

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019, Joel Polowin wrote:
> At the risk of ruining the joke by explaining it, I don't know how
> well the "Easy Bake" ovens are known except by North Americans of
> a certain age.  The "Easy Bake" was a functional toy oven marketed
> to young girls (or whoever had the buying power for them) in the
> 1960s and 1970s.  It was heated by a 100-watt light bulb (yes, kids,
> regular light bulbs used to draw 100 watts, or even more!) and could
> cook small cakes and small batches of small cookies.

Actually, the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology currently has a
whole display of different Easy Bake ovens, including showing how they
have become steadily more unisex over the years.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I am not avoiding reality when I read fiction; I am strengthening my ability to cope with reality."
- Roxane Gay, in her introduction to The Best American Short Stories, 2018