[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 164, Issue 15

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Jan 13 15:54:18 GMT 2019

> On Jan 13, 2019, at 8:44 AM, Baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>
> what is a 3-way bulb?

I have a lamp with a twist switch that rotates between off, dim, medium, and high.   I uses light bulbs that have two separate filaments.   It’s really having 3 different light bulbs in one (combining 2 of the filaments gives the brightest light).    If I look at the bottom of the bulb, I see it has separate contacts so the electricity goes in differently for the interior lights.    One filament can burn out, leaving one of the third brightnesses working.