[LMB] Fwd: Re: H. P. Lovecraft Crossovers?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Jan 14 15:57:08 GMT 2019

On 1/12/2019 12:52 PM, Baur wrote:
> Am 12.01.2019 um 17:33 schrieb David McMillan:
>>
>>      Of course, to be *truly* Lovecraftian, it would need to be
>> something *contagious,* and made from human "raw material".  So, some
>> kind of Hollyweird-grade retroviral weapon, released into a planetary
>> population, and Shoggoth-izes every 1/100^E6 person who just happens
>> to have the right genetic potentials for telepathy and Jump Pilotage.
>
> oh yes .. that would be properly Lovecraftian, but rather dangerous
> for the entire nexus, as this could start killing off jump pilots all
> over the Nexus (or do the Cetas have a vaccination / cure for this
> little horror?)

     Well, they *think* they do... After all, it wouldn't be a proper
*Lovecraft* Xover if there wasn't a very real existential threat to the
entire human race, *and* an element of "they *thought* they had it under
control, *but*...."

     Come to think of it, there's a short in one of the Liaden Uinverse
collections (fairly recent one?) that involves this exact scenario, with
the Lovecraftian elements provided by recovered Sherikas technology.
The resolution is pretty darn Lovecraftian, too.

>>      Bonus points if the Cetas whipped it up using some strange
>> non-human biological samples they found on some world that showed
>> signs of having undergone some sort of environmental catastrophe in
>> the deep, deep past, and discover (too late!) that they really
>> *didn't* know what they were tampering with....
>
> they found some dessicated eggs in a derelict spaceship on a little
> planet?

     As long as it wasn't the wreck of the _Prometheus_....

     Of course, if we're invoking Lovecraft, one can never be sure if
*you* found the eggs, or if the *eggs* found *you*....