[LMB] Barrayaran Lovecraft?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Jan 14 16:03:13 GMT 2019

On 1/12/2019 3:46 PM, Eric Oppen wrote:

> "The Shadow over Innsmouth" could be redone as a young Vorling looking up
> his ancestors, and stumbling across a village of inbred people who turn out
> to be...mutants!  And then, to his horror, finding that he's one himself.

     Of course, for a proper Lovecraftian ending, the young Vorling
would have to nobly sacrifice himself by hand-carrying a micro-nuke into
the mutants' final nest (where they are, of course, breeding World
Ending Horrors), and ending himself along with them.

     But in the Epilog, the Horrified Reader learns that his
wife/mistress/other is pregnant with his child... DUN DUN DUUUUN! (HPL
was very big on the "all of this has happened before, all of this will
happen again... until eventually our luck runs out" type of cycle).