[LMB] Random thoughts on the First Wife

beatrice_otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Mon Jan 14 21:47:19 GMT 2019

From: Corrina Lawson <corrinaannelawson at gmail.com>
What an intriguing question! :)

Hmm....she was a Vorrutyer, which possibly means a love of risk-taking.
Given she had at least two lovers, plus the theorized third, let's say this
is the case, as that's four intimate partners (counting Aral) to juggle.
Risky.

I'm going with an off-worlder as a lover for our unnamed First Wife,
possibly one who could sneak her off-planet. My guess would be an Escobaran
or someone from Jackson's Hole. If she had access to galactic technology,
that means her lover might have been able to grow a simple clone (no
brainstem) and used that as the "murder" victim. A little body modification
later, and off goes Unnamed First Wife to live her own life, off-planet, in
whatever way she choose.

Beatrice Otter:First, unless you blew the head clean off, the lack of a brainstem would be discovered in any autopsy. Not to mention that the facilities to grow a clone to adulthood don't exist in the Nexus that we've seen. It's probably technically possible, but even if you don't want the clone's brain, the body needs to be exercised and the easiest way to do that is how the Jacksonians do it for life extending brain transplants. The lack of muscle tone on a vat raised clone would probably be noticeable even without autopsy. So, assuming it's possible, you still have a custom clone job requiring specialized hardware (because nobody's doing it that way) which would still be pretty obviously a fake, but one of such sophistication that ImpSec would be all over it looking for conspirators. (Even if they don't care about the first wife, you can be damn sure they'd want to know about anyone with both the technical capabilities and the will to fake a death.)
No.  If she wanted offworld, the simplest way would just be to GO. Claim asylum at the first non-Barrayaran world she reaches. If she wouldn't be allowed, killing someone with her basic body type, dressing them in her clothes, and shooting off their face in her apartment would be so much easier than the sort of convoluted plot you describe. And probably less likely to be discovered, too. Large scale physical issues like no muscle tone and no brainstem would be noticed right off. But if they have enough circumstantial evidence that it's her and a faceless corpse that's fairly close, they might not even bother to do a DNA test.
Beatrice Otter