[LMB] OT: It had a red cover...

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:27:59 GMT 2019

Hello, oh well-read members of the list!

I am trying to remember the title/author of a middle-grade book.

The heroine always wore a green&yellow hat to school, to remember the
oppressed workers of somewhere-or-other. She started each class with a
short sentence that highlighted their plight

Classmates: she's so weird.

She used a radio (walkie talkie?) to communicate with friends.

She started a petition not to put a mall? apartment building? on the hill
which the students used for sledding.

At one point she was punished with detention, namely working in an old
house. She wasn't supposed to chat with friends. To cover up the squawk of
hte radio, she flushed the toilet. The noisy toilet alerted the proctor?
teacher? who confiscated her radio.

She was depressed and skipped school/was too sick for school.  Many
classmates started wearing green&yellow hats, from flowered Easter
confections to baseball caps, and started class with a quick petition to
remember various things.

...  that's all I remember.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I suspect it was written in 2009, I seem to remember reading it around the
same time as "Operation Yes"
(https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6270006-operation-yes)

Thanks for the help,
sylvia