[LMB] A Herm question

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 06:48:46 GMT 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:40:02 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Jan 16, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Sharon Micenko <wembleyware at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but when you can’t use the Mother or Father or Grandmother or Grandfather bit (as a child, not a rational grown up), what do you use?
>
>I imagine there will be a bunch of nicknames for “parent”.    There are a bunch now for grandpa or grandma which aren’t obviously gender related.

In Sweden, there is a word "sambo", which is a non-specific term for
someone you live with.  It assumes no gender or marital status, but
implies a closeness beyond "roomie" or "flatmate".   Useful. I'm not
sure of the etymology, but I guess "same" is in there.

We could adopt it, except it has unfortunate connotations in English -
but a similar term would be handy.
--
We are all atheists about most of the Gods humanity has ever believed in,
some of us just go one God further. - . Richard Dawkins