[LMB] Conspiracy theories in Lois's world

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Thu Jan 17 15:18:26 GMT 2019

 The idea that wormholes kill and copy people reminds me of an idea about which my husband, for his own amusement, wrote a partial screenplay in the 1990s. It was for Star Trek: The Next Generation and featured a young officer who never used a transporter, and was never supposed to be assigned transporter duty, because of his religious belief that transporters killed when they dissolved people and generated a soulless copy. By chance, he was the only one near the transporter room (or some such -- I don't remember the logistical details) when an emergency distress call came in from a small spacecraft in dire straits. Everyone on board would die unless transported to the Enterprise immediately. He refused to do the transport, since in his view, everyone on board was doomed anyway, and he would not be the one to kill them and generate abominable copies. The screenplay would, if finished, have included his court-martial.