[LMB] The Sharing Knife series gets some love

Rachel anglerfish at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:18:25 GMT 2019

> https://www.tor.com/2019/01/17/the-perfect-blend-of-adventure-and-romance-in-the-sharing-knife-beguilement-by-lois-mcmaster-bujold/
>
> Jerrie

I'd agree with the writer that the Sharing Knife gets better upon re-read.
And the next and the next. I liked it when I first read it, but it didn't
grab me immediately (with a vice-like iron grip that still hasn't let go
fifteen years later...) like the Vorkosiverse did. Likewise, despite being
in the same universe Curse of Chalion caught me immediately and Paladin of
Souls crept up on me reread after reread. Now I might say Paladin of Souls
is my preferred chalion-series book.

Is this a quality of the book or a quality of the reader? Surely a lot of
the latter, but at least some of the former because the Sharing Knife
Series generally doesn't get as much love does it? (Though Miles may simply
have more history behind him, and doesn't offend the set of readers who are
allergic to fantasy and romance I guess.) My brother, who is NOT a
re-reader, read each series once, declared Vorkosiverse superior and left
it at that.