[LMB] The Sharing Knife.... fast reread

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 08:04:46 GMT 2019

From: John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com>

Pouncer remembers an old post:
One of the?years when I was?unusually distracted,?someone posted ?a long
analysis making the
case that the _TSK_ saga was a deliberate allegory (or anti-allegory) for
_The Lord of the Rings_....

John: That was me, and there are many, many correspondences to ponder,
including :
Lakewalkers / Rangers
broken and unbroken blades
river journeys
garments given by uncles that turn blades
Dark Lord / malices
Nazgul (flying) / malices (flying)
the humble people saving the world when those whose (self-appointed) task
that is cannot

Gwynne: All true, and valid. You could add Star Wars. Some of it fits well with
Arthur, too, and a lot of other sagas; it falls into a heroic genre. I think we have
certain structures programmed into our culture, they have very deep roots.
(Since many myths and legends have a grain of truth deep down, makes you
wonder what happened to set off some of this imagery.)