[LMB] Sharing Knife - more stray thoughts

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:47:34 GMT 2019

[LMB] Sharing Knife - more stray thoughts
Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 14:41:58 GMT 2019

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 13:28:04 +0000, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

 >How much does height affect the way people treat us? Fawn blames
 >her height for most of her problems, she believes people wouldn't
 >patronise or underestimate her if she was taller.

Research has demonstrated that we (consciously or otherwise) see taller
people as more successful, more authoritative, healthier, and richer
that we would otherwise.  It seems to be innate.

LMB:  I think it is innate as well, but I'd put its roots in the
child-adult gradient, which has knock-on effects to the female-male and
everybody-everybody.  I am dead cert (having once owned toddlers who
followed me _everywhere_, considering a trip to the bathroom or any
closed door between us a threat of abandonment -- worse than cats) it is
hardwired in at the earliest possible level of kids attaching to their
caretakers, most usually first their mothers.  The Tall Person is the
one with the power and knowledge to deal with the world, that we do not
have, and who will take care of us if we work it right.

I once watched a vid clip of a psychology experiment where the (evil)
experimenters divided a mother and child on opposite side of a little
fence, to compare the problem-solving techniques of the kids.  One flung
himself at the fence over and over.  The other sat down and wailed.  The
viewer was rather invited to think of the active kid as the more
virtuous, somehow.  But y'know, when one is two years old, a far more
effective problem-solving technique is to recruit the powerful adults on
one's behalf, rather than trying to go it alone.  (If one is still using
that same technique at 22, there's a problem, however.)

Ta, L.