[LMB] Notes on getting old

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 23 16:24:44 GMT 2019

On Mon, January 21, 2019 11:45 am, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> Just some personal notes.
> I'm three years or more younger than my closest friends but, considering
> my medical problems in 2017, I am surprised that I'm the one in the
> best shape. When I was disabled, I worried most about being useless. That
> got me thinking about Lakewalkers and the perhaps not so subtle pressures
> to share early.

We hear a little bit of that (Dag commenting that oldsters might choose to
share before winter starts eating into supplies).  I expect that people
who can still think of themselves as contributing would hold off even if
they were rather less able than others.  Grandmothers' wisdom, skilled
crafters teaching others, weaving, baby-minding, are all things people can
do with lesser degrees of physical ability (well, maybe not so much
baby-minding depending on how fast the babies are).

Someone who suffers a stroke, or goes into dementia... this could get
rather ugly, especially if they're not really in position to share
themselves.

Tony Z
whose parents are in their mid-70s... sobering, isn't it?

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"