[LMB] Notes on getting old

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 24 00:41:11 GMT 2019

I'm not sure I'd use that word in this context; "sharing" implies that one
is actively committing oneself towards a greater goal, rather than just
being happily shuttled off this mortal coil.  Perhaps we should think of
it something like Livy's Roman senators, choosing to die facing the Gauls
rather than scurrying for shelter on the Capitol.  It's not a very modern
attitude, I think, but it seems to fit here.

And, yes, given Lakewalker resource shortages - and the fact that
_everyone_ dies sooner or later! - I think there would be some pressure
for people who were beyond effective contribution to the society to be
quietly shared by their relatives, or the patrol captain, or _somebody_.

(Not that anyone would be ignorant of what was going on.  Groundsense
wouldn't allow that.  Not to mention that the knives have to go somewhere
in order to be useful, and not being able to share is a major Lakewalker
grief, as we see with Crane the bitter exile who is _grateful_, kind of,
for the chance to make his death mean something.)

Tony Z

On Wed, January 23, 2019 2:03 pm, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> Another pressure towards euthanasia?
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>

>> On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:24 AM, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mon, January 21, 2019 11:45 am, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
>>> Just some personal notes.
>>> I'm three years or more younger than my closest friends but,
>>> considering my medical problems in 2017, I am surprised that I'm the
>>> one in the best shape. When I was disabled, I worried most about being
>>> useless. That got me thinking about Lakewalkers and the perhaps not so
>>> subtle pressures to share early.
>>
>> We hear a little bit of that (Dag commenting that oldsters might choose
>> to share before winter starts eating into supplies).  I expect that
>> people who can still think of themselves as contributing would hold off
>> even if they were rather less able than others.  Grandmothers' wisdom,
>> skilled crafters teaching others, weaving, baby-minding, are all things
>> people can do with lesser degrees of physical ability (well, maybe not
>> so much baby-minding depending on how fast the babies are).
>>
>> Someone who suffers a stroke, or goes into dementia... this could get
>> rather ugly, especially if they're not really in position to share
>> themselves.
>>

>> Tony Z
>> whose parents are in their mid-70s... sobering, isn't it?
>>
>> --
>> Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"
>>

>> --
>> 01%7C%7C19c0042b1e9a4317b46408d6814f4f14%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaa
>> aaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636838574956025024&amp;sdata=hX9fPtlzD1kShTijNS%2FAn3HrO
>> %2Bhil30GGW2mnD8iDOg%3D&amp;reserved=0

Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"