[LMB] Sharing Knife - more stray thoughts

Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:39:48 GMT 2019

________________________________
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Robert Woodward <robertaw at drizzle.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:53 AM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] Sharing Knife - more stray thoughts

(re: advantages of height)

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 10:45 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've wondered whether the women in Wen Spencer's novel* A Brother's Price*
> (where maybe one birth in twenty or so is male, and women dominate society)
> are larger and stronger, on average, than men.

I think the ratio is somewhat better than that (the best count we have is of the Whistlers and they were running 1 in 9 or so). As far as size is concerned, I don’t remember anything that suggested that 16 year old Jerin was shorter than his adult sisters. In fact, he was definitely taller and bigger than his younger sisters, since he was the one that carried Princess Odelia back to the farmhouse. I also believe that he was bigger than his kidnappers, but they overwhelmed him with numbers.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com

Don't forget, at the very beginning of the book, Eldest and the other adult sisters are away from home, leaving the teens and littles at home. Jerin at almost 16 is probably the strongest of that group.

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to kevink45 at hotmail.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk