[LMB] OT: message formatting

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jan 24 20:12:32 GMT 2019

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:39:23AM -0700, Howard Brazee wrote:

> > On Jan 24, 2019, at 10:34 AM, <pouncer at aol.com> <pouncer at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > I apologize for crappy formatting on my last post.
> > I beg your indulgence for "double posting" to try and
> > make much-needed editorial corrections. I will add a
> > " % " character to visibly mark line breaks in a way that
> > the antique mail handlers at AOL apparently can't handle.
> > Watch to see if it creates MULTIPLE line breaks ...
> > Take Two
>
> Interesting.   I haven’t come across that before.
>
> This is what I read with your re-formatted message:

> requirement to represent a distinct in our legislature.
> %
> I expect the next RL iteration of bar-raising to get set at

Both postings look fine to me, except for the %signs. What does that
do for you?

That way, a correctly-functioning email reader, when replying, will
properly format the quoted text with a "> " before each line of
original text (as you see above). When used with emails that do not
wrap lines, it doesn't work that well because it depends onthe line
ending to flag the (duh) ends of lines.

Oh, while I'm at it, as I like to say "When God invented email, He
intended it to be plain text, with explicit line endings, monospaced,
no colors or special fonts." :)

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."