[LMB] The Sharing Knife: Legacy

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 05:46:27 GMT 2019

So, on to book 2.

Which starts with a very descriptive scene where the newlyweds
celebrate their union. With a union. Lois usually draws a discreet
veil over such proceedings, but in this case we get a very vivid
description of their activities - and it's all necessary to the plot,
because Dag's frustration at his hands-free state pushes him to
call on the ghost hand again. (This is hugely important to the
entire plot, and again it shows that Fawn is the catalyst for... everything.)

Finally we see the Lakewalker camp. It's ... adequate. Not a lot of
wasted resources on decoration, or comfort. Bare necessities, it's
a streamlined life.

I love Fairbolt. He's what a happier, less mangled Dag might have
become. And I love how Fawn fires up and stands up to him, she's
not going to be trampled and ignored. Then she sees the wall map,
bombards him with questions, and starts wondering how else it
could be used - going a step further than the Lakewalkers have
imagined.

Then we meet Omba, and she's lovely too.

But we're getting a growing, ominous expectation of trouble.
Dag's mother - still offstage, but not exactly surrounded by warm
friendly feelings. His brother - blank and neutral, Dag doesn't seem
to have much of a bond with him. But his mother - not nice.

Apparently it was Dag's fault that he wasn't born a girl. And he came
late. And his mother made him pay for that disappointment for the
rest of his childhood. Remembering my first read of the book, I
wasn't liking her much before we even saw her, but then - that
comment by Omba about how Cumbia makes them eat the old plunkins
even though there's plenty of fresh ones, and how she starved Dag
and rationed his food severely the year he had a growth spurt: using
food that way is one of the standard practices of child abusers. That's
when we start to realise that it's more than just a pushy mother: that
woman is cruel, and there's a lot of hatred in her towards Dag.

She also mostly took Omba's children from her, after Omba was kind
enough to give up her own family and move to Dar's, instead of
following tradition.

Cumbia is going to get a thread of her own.

So... horseshoes, received with joy by Omba. And Dag is sorting out the
gifts to send back to Fawn's family. He needs to prove that he's worthy
of her, he's going to follow as many of his traditions as he can. And
as many of hers, too. But for his own self-respect he needs to do the
right thing by her. (He doesn't have land, so Fawn's family haven't really
grasped that Dag is actually fairly wealthy. Add up all the fine horses,
furs, all the rest of his credit - by Lakewalker and even by Farmer
standards he's definitely not poor. And he wants them to know it.)

It's interesting to finally see Lakewalkers at home. They don't collect things,
as farmers do; for them respect isn't from owning as much as from earning.