[LMB] OT: Kindle DRM.

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jan 26 03:25:30 GMT 2019

> On Jan 25, 2019, at 7:15 PM, M R Dolbear fm <little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> If the advice on Mobileread.com <http://mobileread.com/> can't help, buy a cheap Kindle e-reader. Once registered it doesn't even have to keep working to allow de-DRMing.
>
> https://www.woot.com/category/computers/tablets <https://www.woot.com/category/computers/tablets>
Yeah, my wife has an old Kindle.

Yesterday, after I bought a different book, opened it with my 64-bit Kindle for Mac, I loaded it on Calibre and found it was DRM protected as a KFX-ZIP file.

So I logged onto my wife’s account downloaded it to use USB to load it onto her Kindle, and got a .azw3 file.   I loaded it on Calibre as a KFX file, and converted it to .epub and .txt.

Today I tried the same thing with Knife Children.   But when I loaded it on Calibre, it produced a KFX-ZIP file, which is DRM protected.

I don’t know what changed between yesterday and today.