[LMB] Children -- repost,

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 14:37:24 GMT 2019

From: John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com>
Do we know with certainty that there are or are not printing presses in the
WGW? There's a mint, and whoever made Dag's spring clasp plug-in, so the
fabrication skills are there, but I think there isn't even block-printing,
never mind moveable metal type. The sign outside the farm that Fawn reads
right at the beginning of Beguilement has pictures of fare and prices,
IIRC, not words, so no expectation that all travellers will be literate.
It's a powerful, if unrealised, restriction on any organised education.

Gwynne: The sign outside the farm had words and pictures for each of the
items on sale, then the prices and pictures of the coins - that's probably
not unusual.

Not sure about printing. Fawn can read, but there aren't many books in the
home for her to practise on. I'm trying to remember more references to books
and reading, but I'm busy with Barr and Lily right now.

When Dag is trying to spread the word about his new ideas, it's done by
reports and letters sent to the camps; nobody says brightly 'You should
write a book....'

The WGW needs libraries, that's for sure.