[LMB] Sharing Knife - Legacy: Dar

Corrina Lawson corrinaannelawson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 15:12:23 GMT 2019

During all this discussion, the contrast between Dag and Fawn and their
families becomes clear.

When Dag first met Fawn, she was willing to give up *everything* for her
own place in the world, and to create a place for her child.

Dag, who ran away from home via patrolling but was miserable, who couldn't
finally break ties with the Lakewalkers for various reasons (some of them
good), first encounters Fawn when she's shown the kind of emotional courage
that he cannot help but admire because he's been unable to do the same
thing himself, despite a family that rejects him. Fawn reached for
something new and, hopefully, better. Dag couldn't do the same, as yet.
(But eventually does.....Fawn is the catalyst for this decision but not the
*reason* for this decision.)

Then we meet Fawn's family and see more parallels, with Fawn's brothers
similar to Dar, but their cruelty is more casual, shallower, not as deep as
Dar's malignant anger and disapproval. Dag sees a mostly functional family.

Then he goes home and...well.

No wonder he decides to leave, no matter the cost. He's seen, finally, what
needs to be done, and he seizes his chance at happiness, which isn't
possible in his camp, with his brother and mother.

Never quite got that parallel before, that Fawn did at the beginning of the
story (break ties, move forward) that Dag's been unwilling to do for years.
Until he is.

Corrina

Gwynne: Totally agree. Other Lakewalkers, even those to disapprove