[LMB] More stray thoughts

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 11:33:24 GMT 2019

From: "M R Dolbear fm" <little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm>

> Gwynne:
> I'm sure that even the cadet branches know exactly how many steps each
> person is from the title. Generally in societies with hereditary titles,
> genealogy is a popular hobby for fun and profit. After Vordarian's little
> effort, at least one title skipped to the side and descended on a member
> of a cadet branch who'd never expected to inherit; the process seems to
> have moved very quickly and the new Count was sorting things out soon
> after the uprising ended.

This is indeed what the text of _Barrayar_ says, but it seems impossible unless Aral had a quorum of the CoC all ready.
Ideas?

Gwynne: Martial law? Many of the Counts didn't survive the uprising and
quite a few others weren't going to survive the aftermath; probably not easy
to get a quorum for a vote at that time. Aral was regent, and during a civil
war he probably had more extensive powers than usual, until all the dust
settled. I'm sure that there's some Barrayaran law that says that during wartime
a vacant Countship goes to the next living male heir without delay, to keep
things stable. Appointments can be rubber-stamped by the CoC later, to tie
it all in a neat bow.