[LMB] Notes on growing older, on list.

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 19:06:55 GMT 2019

Bill Wenrich notes:
>When I was disabled, I worried most about being
>useless. ... I no longer [worry ](if I ever did)
 >that I will live forever unless I do something about it.
Getting older in primitive cultures is hazardous.  In _MY_ culture,
it's a never-ending exercise in novelty and learning new things.
Consider the experience of discovering/discussing new Bujoldian canon.
In the old days, we had to wait for dead-tree editions to reach the
local shops.  Lucky listies posted with spoiler space on the whole
work.
Somewhat later, a "sample chapter" would appear before the paper
work.  About one chapter per week. Luck had little to do with it.
Some chose to sample, some waited until the whole work was
available. Still, new posting included spoiler space.
A memorable experiment (publisher's, not Lois's) put out e-samples
of something like the first three PAGES of the first ten chapters.
DUMB! (Or so all the opinions available to me agreed)  But, to
their credit, the publishers tried something new. Fawn-ish, even.
(This referring to Gwynn's recent recap.) AFAIK nobody posted on
those smidgens.  (Smidgens being distinct from snippets.)
There was a story for a US anthology that was first printed in,
IIRC, Russian translation, well before the anthology.  The overseas
fans un-re-translated back into English and circulated an e-edition
to those who swore to buy the anthology in future.  Yes, some did
buy the "pirate" work and comment here.
There was an Advance Reader's Copy auctioned off and passed around.
Postings here followed the snail mail as the dead-tree edition
circulated.
There were after-the-paper-edition interpretations in audio-book
format. Competing, different, "editions".  So we commented upon the
reader's voice and interpretations and how names were pronounced or
mis-pronounced.
And most lately a new work nearly EXPLODES into circulation all at
once. Anybody with a few bucks gets hold of it and is ready to
discuss.  We still wait politely for all to get on board. And there
is no dead-tree edition, or if there ever is, it's as "after-the-
fact" as an audio-book.   But with the new e-reader technology, the
e-text can be mechanically "voiced" by text-to-speech tools. The
audio book is available (if imperfect) right away.
John Lennard mentioned the other day that discussion of the WGW
depends upon literacy.  Pretty good forecast ...  What literacy
means in the environment of my life now is vastly different from
the days of my own schooling and noticably different from what I
taught my own kids. Not necessarily better or worse, but different.
In the edition I acquired and read last night,  I was making
electronic notes DURING THE READ.  Not merely mentally commenting
to myself. Not, as with a textbook, highlighting (although  a
change to the color of the screen of noted text incidentally
occurs.)  It's much more like having a loose-leaf edition of a text
with the wide margins, or single-sided pages,  encouraging almost
expecting the reader into the process.  This is a story event that
creates THIS expectation.  HERE is where that expectation is
confirmed or refuted.  THAT is a logical outcome from all presented
before, that I surely did NOT see coming.  It's different. It's
novel and exciting.  It's almost like learning to read all over
again. Or discovering a new super-power.  ("Space Ghost can READ!"
to quote 4-year old MicroPouncer about super-powers in general,
some 15 years ago... )
How a reader feels about having the skill set augmented, disrupted,
or revolutionized is a whole 'nother thing.