[LMB] Lakewalker mentality

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 19:24:29 GMT 2019

Gwynne says:
>Dar is all about 'This is what we do. It works. It's what we've
>always done.' And Fawn is 'How about this... would it work with
>this....'
>
>Dar uses it as a chance to make another insult; the technique only
>works with Lakewalker bones. Farmers and animals aren't good
>enough - and to him are pretty much the same.
>
>But there's no proof, ever, that that is true. The Lakewalkers do
>what works. But they don't experiment - and to do them justice,
>it's not an easy situation to try new things.
To do Dar justice, the whole idea of proof, truth and justice is
different in a culture and society in which it's so difficult to
lie, and in which certain kinds of evidence are unavailable to
certain interested parties. Dar and Dag can sense directly whether
a knife is bonded or merely a blank,  primed with a death or not,
and seem to be able to infer characteristics of the donors just
from the evidence of the blade.  They are both sensing, (like
Captain Mari) that the blade holds a "different" affinity from the
farmer-infant death.  It's not clear to any of them from the
outside whether it's sufficient. They have different senses, not
omniscient ones.
Dag resists using these abilities in the trial of the boat bandits.
He could, he muses, tell lies from valid alibis. He could pick and
choose who was beguiled and who was corrupted -- and who should
live or die. But Truth in that case would NOT be enough for
Justice. (at least, so he thinks then, and we might take that up
separately later) So with trials, also with experiments.  The
evidence that convinces a Lakewalker of a fact is different from
and perhaps not available to a Farmer.  Even a brilliant Farmer
like Fawn.
Gwynne again:
>Someone like Dag could carry an extra knife, primed with a Farmer
>death,
Oh yeah, and getting a Camp Captain to think past the repercussions
of getting that volunteer are how likely?
> and use it on a sessile malice, to see what happened. The risk
> would be small, and he'd have another Lakewalker-primed knife
> ready.
Finding a malice still in first molt seems to be a rare and ideal
case. Most likely found by those with exceptionally long range
ground sense, like Dag, when an inconspicuous malice is far from
the beaten tracks.  Which is why "normal" patrols have to go up the
cliffs and through the swamps, to get within say a quarter mile of
every acre, at least every so often.
Which -- oops.  Blight it!  Stray thought!  New topic. Be back
later ...