[LMB] Ruthlessly Luthlian tactic

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 20:59:08 GMT 2019

Very tiny tinge of spoiler-ing, so

>      Barr remarked "So, are you saying if I stayed this
lousy at my ground-veiling, I'd never be chosen for one of
those suicide-rushes?"

>      "In Luthlia, we'd set you out for bait," Dag said.

      This was in _TSK:P_ Book 3, _Passages_ or the
later half of the great single work.  Not in the latest.

      But still. It's a good example of "patroller
humor" --  grim and morbid and funny altogether.  Very
Dag-like.  Very Barr-like, at that stage, as well.

      It occurs to me that going out hunting for malices
with short-range sensors (Patrollers enjoying average or
below-average ground-sense range .. saying nothing about
making or general control or veiling etc) is risky
business.  The patterns intend, we may infer, to put even
a weak-sensing patroller close into range of a malice -- a
sessile for preference.  A patroller with longer range
winds up getting (with his or her patrol, at least) more
kills. A patroller with short range might MISS a sessile,
and so come back the next year to find a more powerful,
motile, opponent.

      Presumably a mobile or motile malice radiates
whatever it is that ground sense is sensing more
powerfully than a sessile. But with great power comes
great -- danger?  An advanced malice may be able to sense,
though maybe not attack, an unveiled, wide open, seeking
patroller before the patroller can sense the malice back.
Is there any text-evd to the contrary?

      So how to get around this?  How does a patrol with
limited sensor range get a young malice to, essentially,
unveil and expose itself?

      Stake something really juicy out for bait, yes?

       NOT, necessarily, a young patroller. Not on
purpose.  Not usually.  I hope.  But since the patrol is
out on horseback, anyhow?  Why not include a mare-in-foal
along with all the other mounts and pack-horses. One who
is gestating assiduously, peeing for two, as the
expression goes?

       To go all David Weber with the idea: If a malice
with a passive sensor range of a mile twigs to a pregnant
mare carrying a patroller with passive sensor range of
9/10ths of a mile, would the malice power on active
sensors and trigger the patroller's alarms?  Perhaps focus
on the tasty bait of the fetal foal and not the sharp hook
of the patroller?

      Just a thought ...

I'm posting a lot today trying to get my modern literacy back under control.  Different mail handlers and different machines ... it's like learning to write with ink, and a brush, on wood panels then switching to chalk on slate -- or maybe vice versa.  The ideas are flowing but the media seems to  have a mind of its own and it's ARGUING with me. Or at least interrupting, rudely interfering.  I will keep trying to get it right.  Write.  Er, whatever.