[LMB] WGW literacy and paper generally

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 03:05:50 GMT 2019

John Lennard writes:
>The big question is literacy. Every time the historians
>revise their estimates, it seems that more people were
>more literate earlier, but (a) literacy falls as well as
>rises, and (b) it didn't make a big enough difference
>until the printing press began to generate a lot more
>things that could be read.
>
>Do we know with certainty that there are or are not
>printing presses in the WGW?

     No but that's not to mention the problem of paper making.
 Mass producing paper, that is. Or making industrial quantities
of parchment or other alternatives.

     I think we generally are shown actual paper through
out the WGW.  Paper making in the just-pre-industrial era
of our history tended to involve a lot of rag-picking.  But
we see the problems, high labor cost, and low production
rate of spinning and knitting to get cloth both at West
Blue and the Lakewalker camp. The idea of rag going to the
scrap collectors is hard to envision.

     Other sources of fiber have been used -- papyrus of
course.  Flax.  Hemp.  It would not completely surprise me
to learn there was a Lakewalker camp in the south, on the
river, supplying a farmer town with plunkin husk fibers to
feed that industry.  Some sources of fiber like the flax
have to be "retted" -- a process I confess not to quite
get. I have the impression from the word itself it's
related to "rot" -- biological digestion of one kind of
molecule, interrupted to get something convenient and not
mushy.

     Ha, now I'm thinking of silk worm fiber, and silk
fabric,  and BUTTER BUGS -- turning raw organic matter into
something useful.  And what Fawn calls MILKWEED BUGS (I
always sort of assumed to be Monarch ButterFLIES.)  My
memories are tingling.  Google ... YES! At least a few
people have posted techniques for harvesting milkweed fluff
and stalks and making paper from that plant. So, possible
but not maybe THE solution.

     Making enough milkweed paper to put together a leather
bound book -- wow!  What effort!

     All that does NOT reduce the value of literacy though.
Where we started.  Painted signs -- mixing images and text
like an instructional comic book, I'd guess -- would be
helpful in a lot of situations. (What's a geographical map
except such a mixed document?) The record book.  Labels on
the glass jars and clay pots to show contents. Initials
branded into items both personal and manufactured -- like a
trademark or hallmark. The property records also imply
offers, bids, contracts, bills of lading, packing slips,
notice of defects, complaints, one-star-reviews for bad
products, and solitictations for sexual services...  The
sort of stuff archeologists dig out of trash middens all
over the world for all literate societies. There were all
kinds and classes of people sending each other notes, and
graffiti-ing up the walls, in all kinds of places and
cultures, long before Gutenberg.

     Anyhow,  I want to not to focus on moveable type.  A
hammer stamper and rollers to squeeze fabric into screens
is as important to paper making.  Riverside mills, again.
Machines.  We see a culture in renaissance, and it's great.