[LMB] What's out there?

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 16:08:49 GMT 2019

Gwynne:
>We're told that malices can't come up in water, so I can't
>see them doing damage to the ocean floor. And if those
>boats can go out fishing, why can't a boat sail along the
>coastline?

     A whole 'nother bunch of continents, where Men of the
West like Gondor and Rohan (but not the Black Númenóreans)
rub up against the Easterlings and Southrons  (chariot
driving Rhuin and Haradwaith, who sometimes rode combat
elephants). There used to be men and Kingdoms of the North,
but not so much in the Third Age.

     Oh, wait,  TSK, not LOTR.  Sorry, my bad.

     Although, if it helps,  we might suppose that LOTR is
happening at roughly the same time as the TSK. Only LOTR is
in an analogous or allegorical match to Europe, Asia and
Africa while TSK is in a match to North America.  Whatever
gods there may be or have been in such a world, they are
more worried, at those moments, about Middle Earth, and are
allowing the WGW its, er, independence. In this amusing
concept, there are a few European Elves boating over (from
their view) the Western Ocean every once in awhile. Probably
sneaking in and assimilating among the tall Lakewalkers ...
They are welcome, because they make REALLY GOOD ROPE,
among other things.

    The sinking of the oceanic Island of Numenor probably
happened at around the same time as the destruction of the
WGW's cities around their Lakes.  Rising water levels,
climate change, all that. Horror, Fantasy, Cautionary Tales,
there's a reason for scary stories, and not always the
reasonable reason.

     [Pouncer is obviously enjoying John Lennard's
proposition about LOTR and TSK a LONG WAY too much ...)