[LMB] Knife Children (The Sharing Knife series) Available

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Jan 28 20:07:24 GMT 2019

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> That will be my last Kindle purchase for a while.   Amazon changed its DRM procedure and I can’t convert the book to .epub.
>
> Go to your Amazon account, and download it to PC (for "sideload" use).
> It will arrive in the previous format, and Calibre can process it, as
> long as the device you choose has its serial number plugged into the
> de-DRM plugin.

The day before “Knife Children” came out, I downloaded a book using my wife’s Amazon account.   It loaded into Calibre as an KFX book.   With “Knife Children”, I tried the same thing, but it loaded into Calibre as a KFZ-ZIP book, and Calibre couldn’t read nor convert it.

I restored a 32-bit version of Kindle for Mac and was able to use it to download “Knife Children” in a format that Calibre could convert.   But the next version of Mac OSX won’t run 32-bit programs.

My wife’s old Kindle is a Kindle Fire.   I can’t use Android File Transfer to copy “Knife Children” from it to a Mac, so I ordered a refurbished Kindle Paperwhite (2013) 6" Reader (S&D) from Woot for $36+tax.   Apparently I can transfer books from it to my Mac without DRM.   I expect I won’t use it for anything else unless my iPad breaks.

My brother sells books that are Amazon exclusive, so I need to still buy from Amazon.   I get my son’s books elsewhere.

I will still pay more when I know that a supplier sells a DRM-free book, but how do I know?    Was “Knife Children” available from such a source?